Monday, May 30, 2011

Carpe Nova Spero

Back to the Latin, mostly because its fun and challenging.  So now after my walk today I was inspired to write about seizing a New Hope.  Not as in Star Wars (cool movie but not what I am referring to at this point).  On my walk I was truly energized by the smells of the freshly cut grass, the blooming flowers, the chirping of the birds and the beautiful leafy green trees.  I also had my i-pod plugged in streaming Celtic Women, Sara Evans Billy Joel and Mercy Me (yes I am a bit eclectic) all energizing me to keep putting one foot in front of the other.  However what was truly illuminating was when I happened to look over at this one particular Oak tree and I was reminded of the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden.  I couldn't help but think of how beautiful, majestic and comforting trees are. When I was young I used to shimmy up the trunk of a tree to get away from the neighborhood dog or bully, to run away from my parents, to feel like I could see the whole world from the heights of the boughs.  Now that I am older they provide shade and a make for a great backrest as I enjoy a favorite book.  They are also such a pleasure to look at in all seasons.  Trees have roots that run deep and thus are strong and mighty and by their sheer number of years seem full of wisdom and experience. A tree is a fortress and a shelter, a  symbol of peace, prosperity and knowledge.  I am so grateful in this time of illness and goals, diabetes and trying to care for my growing young men that I can go on a walk and be so comforted by the sight of a Tree.  God you truly are amazing and I am eternally grateful and shall continue to seize onto any bit of new hope I can find.  Tomorrow I head up to Gonzaga to pay the fee for graduate students to use the gym throughout the summer and Kris is coming by in the morning to spend some time motivating and working with me.  Then my SOL sisters are coming by for a devotional.  Kevin and I will also be heading up to SCC to finish getting him enrolled and scheduled for his math placement test.  Wow tomorrow shall truly be busy, I hope I am up for the tasks...

1 comment: