Sunday, May 22, 2011

Amare-to love

So currently I am writing a response to what is the meaning of love and I was reminded of one of my long standing friendships.  I thought I would share the essay with you because just writing it lifted my spirits as I hope it will yours...
I was recently doing some scrap-booking when a thought came to me, my friend Angela really must love me.  She is not only there for me and my sons in the bad times but all the good and precious moments as well.  My sons and I moved to Washington seven years ago now.  We came here as victims and looking for a new start. Upon enrolling in some classes at the local community college, I approached Angela in the crowded campus cafeteria.  There were no seats to be had and I really needed to grab something to eat and study for my next few classes.  Angela just seemed approachable and she shyly agreed to let me share her table.  For the next few weeks this quiet sharing of a study space became routine.  Slowly we learned each others names, talked about our children and what classes we were taking.  It was a budding relationship and it was most welcome to my fragile state of mind.  Life had not really shown me that there were people I could trust at least not on any kind of consistent basis.  Her love was something that came as a bit of a surprise and not loudly or overwhelmingly but sweetly slow and smooth.
In the past seven years we have laughed, cried, joked while suffering the effects of air crack late into the night, shopped until we have literally dropped, read books together, seen too many movies to even count or list, been baptized in the same church and graduated from college as what we fondly refer to as Non-Traditional Students.  Our sons have grown up together as well, playing sports, dealing with the effects of ADHD, going to our local swimming pools and amusement parks together every summer and even celebrating birthdays together.  Our relationship even survived Angela getting married last year.  I have to admit that I wasn’t sure I would still have as important a place within her life as she was undergoing a new stage within her own life. Boy was I ever wrong about that.  Her new husband and I have since become friends and he is a great example to my sons of how a man really can become a great step-father.  Angela and I have, if anything become closer in our love for one another.
About two and half years ago I was diagnosed with primary bilary cirrhosis and our relationship was once again tested.  Even when I would have chosen to pull back to protect her and my boys she never allowed me to do that for too long.  Angela is constantly available to me for doctor appointments, to give my boys rides when I am too sick to get behind the wheel of my car, to prepare meals and even to just sit and watch some T.V because that’s all I have the energy for that day.  As I get sicker her love only continues to grow and I know that my boys shall continue to benefit from her love even if God sees fit to take me before I get to sit in our proverbial rocking chairs with her as we turn 80.  Angela helps me to continue to dream and live each day for the precious moments that we are blessed with.  I thank God and Angela for helping me to maintain a positive attitude throughout some pretty tumultuous times.  I know love because of Angela’s unconditional and everlasting friendship and my life is truly blessed for having such a loving relationship.  Life is not about the destination but rather the journey which shows us that love truly exists even when it comes in the trappings of a friendship which we were never expecting or believing was even possible.  Thank you my dear friend, I will love you always and forever…

3 comments:

  1. This is amazingly beautiful, and so true to your relationship to Angie. It is an amazing tribute to a fantastic lady. It is so sweet... I need to go grab some tissue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Tina, you are so right, she truly is an amazing friend, ladies seem to be grabbing tissues around me all day today...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That was incredible! You have such a way with words. Angie makes a great subject too. Especially for the topic of love in action. :)

    ReplyDelete