Saturday, June 11, 2011

Excellentia

If as the great philosopher Aristotle says "we are what we repeatedly do" and that excellence is a choice than that is what I have chosen this week.  I did not necessarily do it with great glory but I did choose to exercise every day this past week.  I seem to be struggling with the balance of eating enough so that my body doesn't go into starvation mode and when I need to cut back or really pay attention to portion control.  I only lost a couple of more pounds this last week which after last weeks initial 10 was disappointing to say the least.  This new balancing act is frustrating and my bum left knee is beginning to pain me beyond belief.  Don't worry I will not give up but as I previously stated this has been a rough week.  By Friday I was trying to remind myself that if good is not a substitute for great than I would really need to push myself in these last two workouts of the week.  So I began to give myself some goals on the bike and in the pool. Like try to make five miles instead of four on the bike and swim the length of the pool in thirty strokes or less.  It seemed to help because Friday and Saturday's workouts were much more fulfilling. So I shall continue to strive for excellence with each workout and with each morsel of food which crosses my lips and I hope you will too...  

1 comment:

  1. Great use of your strengths Lori! Remember those worksheets I gave you? You can use those to help you process through the decisions - like with the eating choices, etc. You are doing an amazing job! I am so very proud of you.

    Oh, and one of my instructors told us something once... she was talking about attachment and parenting and comparing it to being a therapist. She said that parents only have to be 33% good enough to raise well adjusted, happy kids into functioning adults. The 33% just has to be in the right areas. She applied that to being good therapists. The moral was that sometimes good enough, is just that, good enough. So, this week was rough for you, but as you said, good enough had to be enough. And you made it work. Not only that, but you made it BETTER. You are so good at that. Evaluating your perspective and perceptions, and finding ways to tweak it - whether it be internal or external - and make it the best. You take responsibility for your own status, which is such a wonderful, but heavy skill. Here's me cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete