Friday, January 20, 2012

first Official Update in 2012

So a friend recently sent me a list of questions and I thought my response would do just nicely for my first official update in the year 2012.  I hope it serves it's purpose well in keeping those who wish to remain informed up to date in this whole process and I pray today's post finds you all healthy and well...


Ok so here goes for trying to answer some more of your specific questions.  I have been to the nearest transplant center in Seattle Washington but have been told that I was not quite sick enough and that to even be considered I would have to lose a significant amount of weight to prove to a transplant board that I was a healthy, worthy candidate (kinda like an alcoholic being told to stop drinking)...Also because of the massive costs associated with a transplant minimum of $500 Thousand, not to mention the estimated $300 a month for the rest of my life for anti-rejection medication, the state who I currently have medical through as an indigent has very strict parameters for how a poor person goes about getting on the actual transplant list.  There is only one list and it is a national list presided over by an organization known as UNOS - you should consider going to their website and checking out the info for yourself...I am sorry if I mislead you in our conversations but there is something known as a living liver donation which is where a small part of a healthy person's liver is taken off and then transplanted into the patient with the unhealthy liver.  It is truly amazing but is not covered under state medical and isn't currently done in the state of Washington.  There are only five transplant hospitals in the US currently doing them and I believe Oregon and California are the closest to us here in Washington.  Regarding my actual diagnosis and understanding of it, the type of cirrhosis which I have is NAFDL which is 3/4 of the way to a completely de-compensated liver verses a well compensated one.  A healthy person progresses from well compensated, to fatty liver to NASH (Non-Alcoholic Stetto Hepatitis) to NAFDL and finally to end stage de-compensated liver disease (death or transplant) I am in this third stage and to my understanding there is no recovery only progression but I can be at this stage for some time and then it usually progresses rather rapidly into final stage giving one 6-9 months to live if the patient does not receive a transplant. 

I am not entirely opposed to moving but am trying not to put my God into a box and have some faith that he can heal me and help me to get a transplant right here because he is that miraculous and amazing.  Once you are placed onto the transplant list it is all about regions and your ability to get to the nearest transplant center in enough time to make the transplanted liver viable and healthy.  That is why I would currently be listed at the Seattle transplant center because there is a small window of opportunity once a liver becomes available.  You can't necessarily buy your way onto the transplant list but if you can pay for the surgery and all of the required medications afterwards, this is taken into account (and this I cannot do, obviously), then there are things like blood type, size, age, stage of failure your liver is in and even mental health is taken into account etc...all this is taken into account when being considered for whether you will be put on the list or not, so currently I am not on the list.  I have lost 37 lbs since beginning this journey but I was told at least 80 or more would be best so I am continually working towards that.  As you can guess this is difficult due to fatigue, the onset of Diabetes, osteoarthritis, and all the other daily symptoms I am experiencing but I continue to attempt weight loss. 

I am always open to discussion regarding this entire process and to the Will of God. I do once again thank you for your heartfelt inquiry and look forward to other conversations with you in the future...in the meantime I continue to try to bring God Glory in all I do and say...that is my little part I can play in the larger picture...thx and God Bless
 
"Those who succeed are unwilling to quit.

They want it more than those who don't."

Adam Bornstein


                     Lori L

No comments:

Post a Comment